James “Jim” Murphy concentrates his practice in civil litigation, including commercial litigation, municipal litigation, personal injury, construction litigation and appellate practice. Jim received his Bachelor’s Degree from Knox College in 1982 and was awarded his Juris Doctor with honors from IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law in 1987. After law school, Jim served as a Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Lawrence D. Inglis, Illinois Appellate Court, Second District, from 1987 – 1989.
Jim was admitted to the Illinois Bar in 1987. He is also a member of the trial bar for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Central District and admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit. Jim has also engaged in mediation and arbitration before the American Arbitration Association.
He is a member of the Will County Bar Association and the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA).
Jim has handled over 30 Appeals, including the following published cases:
- In re Liszka, 2016 IL App (3d) 150238
- Republic Bank of Chicago v. Village of Manhattan, 2015 IL App (3d) 130379
- Cromwell v. City of Momence, 2013 U.S. App. LEXIS 7374
- Khan v. Bland and Champaign Housing Authority, 630 F.3d 519 (7th 2010).
- Humphrey Property Group, L.L.C. v. Village of Frankfort, 392 Ill.App.3d 611 (3d Dist. 2009).
- Village of Frankfort v. Illinois E.P.A., 366 Ill.App.3d 649 (1st Dist.2006).
- Department of Natural Resources v. Brauer, 339 Ill.App.3d 723 (3rd 2003).
- Robinson v. Ada S. McKinley, Ada S. McKinley Community Services, Inc., 19 F.3d 359 (1994).
Some of Jim’s successfully litigated cases include the following:
- Obtained $9.9 million jury verdict in an eminent domain case involving three properties;
- Obtained $4.6 million judgment after trial as co-counsel on behalf of a landowner. Judgment including findings of fraud and punitive damages;
- Obtained approximately $1 million of work for client in mediation where claim was brought against client for $1 million in damages;
- Obtained $400k judgment on letter of credit which bank had refused to honor based on expiration;
- Obtained reversal on appeal of $800k contempt order; and
- Obtained $1 million policy limit settlement in wrongful death case.
Jim has spoken on various litigation-related topics, including the following:
- “Temporary Restraining Orders, Preliminary Injunctions, and Injunctions” as part of Civil Litigation Update and Overview of Civil Practice and Procedure. April 2013;
- Moderator for “Proving Civil Claims and Their Defenses – Evidentiary Issues with New Technologies Including Authentication.” Allerton Conference, sponsored by ISBA, April 2013;
- “Motions for Summary Judgment Pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1005 and Illinois Supreme Court Rule 191,” part of Civil Litigation and Overview of Civil Practice and Procedure , presented by the ISBA Civil Practice and Procedure Section (April 2012);
- Moderator for “Changing Civil Evidence Laws” panel at “Hot Button Civil Evidence Issues”, Allerton Conference, sponsored by ISBA, April, 2011;
- Panelist, “Land Use and Zoning – Avoiding the Common Mistakes”, Illinois Municipal League Conference, 2010;
- “Plaintiff’s Litigation Strategy: Enforcing Covenants Not to Compete,” part of Drafting and Enforcing Non-competition Provisions in Agreements , presented by the ISBA Civil Practice and Procedure Section and the ISBA Business Advice and Financial Planning Section (May 2005);
- “Pleadings, The Road Map for Trial,” part of Successfully Navigating Civil Litigation, presented by the ISBA Civil Practice and Procedure Section (January 2004); and
- “Recent Public Contracting Cases, Trends and Strategies,” part of 2003 Municipal Litigation Update, presented by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (May 2003).
In addition to being rated an AV attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, Jim is:
- Recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” in Commercial Litigation by the Leading Lawyers Network;
- Recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” in Civil Appellate Law by Leading Lawyers Network;
- Selected to Super Lawyers in Business Litigation
- A top-rated speaking for materials and presentation in continuing legal education seminars.
Jim is also active in the community. He previously served on the Three Rivers Arts Counsel as its Vice President. He was appointed to the Illinois Public Arts Advisory Committee in 2010 and was appointed to the Fox River Flood Commission in 2019.
TO CONTACT JIM:
Call: 815-730-9500 x110