Laura L. Malinowski’s practice is dedicated to family law. She is an experienced negotiator and litigator in contested and non-contested pre- and post-decree matters including:
- Maintenance (formerly known as alimony);
- Child custody / Parenting Decision and Time issues;
- Support issues;
- Allocation of Property;
- Marital vs. Non-Marital property disputes;
- Child Removal / Relocation issues;
- Pre-nuptial agreements;
Laura is dedicated to serving clients in Will, Grundy, Kendall and DuPage Counties who need assistance in areas of family law.
Prior to concentrating on her family law practice, Laura was a former prosecutor for the Villages of Shorewood, Channahon and Frankfort and represented clients in areas of aggravated traffic and DUI defense.
Laura has handled and been successful in multiple appeals, including:
- In re Marriage of Liszka, 2016 IL App (3d) 150238, trial court abused its discretion in barring expert witness testimony and imputation of income;
- In re Marriage of Hill, 2015 IL App (2d) 140345, upheld award of ex-wife receiving $19k per month child support award.
Laura was born and raised in Joliet, Illinois and attended Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa, where she graduated maxima cum laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology. In 1988, Laura received her J.D. degree with high honors from The John Marshall Law School. Subsequent to her graduation from law school, Laura clerked for the Honorable Charles P. Kocoras, United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois.
Laura is a member of the Illinois State, Will County Women’s Bar and Will County Bar Associations and served on the Illinois State Bar Association Family Law Section Council from 2013 to 2017. Laura previously served on the Illinois State bar Association’s Traffic and Courts Section Council. Laura actively participates in the community. She served on the board for Joliet Area Community Hospice and was a member of the Cathedral of St. Raymond’s choir from 2010-2016. She currently is a member of Shorewood HUGS.